During Dutch Design Week, MU will host a lively talk show in which authors speak aloud. By welcoming different guests, we will push the boundaries of design in a manner that is both intriguing for a broad audience - and engaging for experts and professional designers.
Create Out Loud is in collaboration witch and will be presented by Isolde Hallensleben and recorded on audio.
Create Out Loud #5: Fail Design, designing & solving world problems (27 October)
Yes, even designers make mistakes! And preferably many mistakes, because making mistakes is good. Every mistake teaches us to fail better. Erik Kessels’ recent book Failed It! celebrates the power of mistakes and shows how failure can enrich the creative process. Designing handicaps can even be a starting point, but do we call the result design or ...art? In some cases we need to be cautious; designing smart devices is great, but what if they get too cheeky and clever? And regarding global failures, can designers actually help to reduce them? The debate on this topic can become quickly overheated, which only makes it more interesting to dig into. We will explore this question with creators who, for example, encourage better reception and integration of refugees or create better solutions for mine sweeping in Afghanistan.
Lucas Maassen (designer), Tijmen Schep (Director SETUP, Devious Devices), Thami Schwiegler (Makers Unite | Winner WDCD challenge) & Arjen de Nooijer (dnArchitectuur | winner A Home Away From Home)
Doors open at 17:30 event begins at 18.00
- Create Out Loud #1: Sunday October 23 - For Play, Shaping Sexuality
- Create Out Loud #2: Monday October 24 - Hybrid Design, on what design can be
- Create Out Loud #3: Tuesday October 25 - Spirituality in Design
- Create Out Loud #4: Wednesday October 26- Crafting Complex Materials
- Create Out Loud #5: Thursday October 27 - Fail Design, designing & solving world problems
- Create Out Loud #6: Friday October 28 - Parliament of Things
- Create Out Loud #7: Saturday October 29 - Sparking Tech & Design